Driving in Hungary

Driving License

Car Documents

Liability Insurance


Items in Car


Traffic Laws

Car Registration

Riding a Bike

In Hungary, people drive on the right side of the road. You have to have your driving license, car documents and liability insurance to drive in Hungary.

You must respect the rights of cyclists and pedestrians.

In European cars the unit of speedometers is km/h.

Driving License

If you are coming from the European Union, your national Driving License is accepted by the authorities in Hungary.

If you are coming from outside the EU or you have a different format from the EU document, you should get an international driving permit in your home country that is a transcription of your original driving license.

U.S. citizens who are in possession of an international driver’s license do not need to have their state driver’s license translated, but must have both the state and the international licenses on hand when driving.

International Driving Permit issued by AAA is widely known and accepted in and around Hungary.

Military, including US, can use their national/military issued driving license as long as they wish to.

Car Documents

When driving, the documents of the car you are driving have to be with you.

These are the

  • Car Registration Document (commonly referred to as Part I) containing details about the car (make, model, registration number, owner, etc.) and
  • the proof of liability insurance which can be the latest receipt of the Liability Insurance, or the green International Motor Insurance Card.

Liability Insurance

It is mandatory to have liability insurance on every motor-vehicle, you have to have it to ensure that the damage in the other party’s vehicle is financially covered if you cause an accident.

There are plenty of companies you can contract with and you can choose the plan best fitting you on the Internet.

The price of the insurance depends on the

  • car,
  • the age and gender of the driver,
  • driving experience,
  • location, and
  • your previous no-claim certificate.

When registering a car with Hungarian plates, Hungarian liability insurance contract has to be made. Not having a valid liability insurance for the car results in a significant fine.

You should never ignore communication to you in Hungarian, but contact your Hungarian insurance agent or translator for explanation.

Be aware that it is you who is responsible for keeping the regular car inspection valid and that there is no warning system for expiring car inspections.


Liability insurance insures the damage in the other party’s vehicle in case of an accident, but does not cover your damage.

To have your car insured, you will have to have a CASCO contract signed with an insurance company.

The fee of the CASCO also depends on the conditions of the car and the driver.

You can contract for CASCO with any insurance company, however keep in mind, the more types of insurances (liability, CASCO, house, life, travel, etc.) you have with one single company, the better prices you will get for the package.

By law it is mandatory to cover a minimum of 10% own risk out of pocket.

Need-to-have and Good-to-have items in the car


Warning Triangle

Visibility Vest

First Aid Kit

Car Registration Document


Exchange Lightbulbs

Fire Exctinguisher


Accident Report Form

Spare Tyre

Jump Lead



In Hungary you do not need to call the police for every accident. When parties agree on the question of liability and no personal harm is done, it is enough to fill an Accident Report Form (obtain it from your insurance company) and take it/send it to the insurance company of the liable party.

When personal harm is done, call 112 International Emergency Number.

When no personal harm is done, but parties cannot agree on the question of liability, or the damage is worth more than HUF 100.000, call 107 for the Police.

You are encouraged to call for CLO assistance in case of any accident, when you have trouble communicating.

In case of an accident

  • Call 112 International Emergency Line in case someone is hurt.
  • In case no one is hurt and you can agree on the question of liability, fill the Accident Report Form (calling the CLO is advisory to avoid misunderstandings)
  • Make sure, you have the data of the driver and the car
  • If you can not keep on driving, call a wrecker
  • In case it was not you who caused the accident, and you still have expenses related to the accident (wrecker, fixing, etc.), save all the receipts of payment.

Traffic Laws


In inhabited areas the speed limit is 50 km/h.

The start and the end of inhabited areas are marked with a traffic sign.

The speed limit on country roads is 90 km/h, on express highways 110 km/h, and on motorways 130 km/h.

Please note that Pápa downtown area is a 30 km/h zone.

These are general rules, but when limiting signs are present, you have to act accordingly.


Headlights have to be on when outside of inhabited area all day.

Seat belts

In Hungary all drivers and passengers have to wear the seatbelt. You will be fined upon traffic check when you or any of your passengers do not wear the seatbelt.

Child seats

Child seats are allowed to be installed in the front seat only facing rear and with no airbag or the airbag turned off.

Under the height of 150 cm children are not allowed to sit in the front seat.

Consequently, those children are not allowed to be carried in a two-seat only type car.

Children under the height of 135 cm are only allowed to be transported in the backseat in a child safety seat.

Children between the height of 135 and 150 cm are allowed to be transported in the back seat with the seatbelt adjusted to their heights (with a booster seat or an adjustable seat belt).

Drinking and driving

There is Zero Tolerance towards alcohol when driving a motor-vehicle in Hungary.

You are going to be arrested when your blood-alcohol level is above 0.05 percent with your license being taken away, and going to be fined when it is between 0.00 and 0.05 percent.

Traffic tickets

When you break traffic laws, you will have to pay a fine if the police catch you.

Obvious mistakes can be crossing the red light, using a handheld device or speeding.

When you are stopped by the police, the officer will ask for your documents (license, insurance proof, car registration documents).

You are allowed to get out of the car.

When fined you will be given a yellow postal cheque, that you will have to pay in any post office or on the internet.

Never pay the police officer on the spot, unless the police car is equipped with a POS terminal.


You can park wherever a sign is not forbidding parking, if you park alongside a road, do so on the right side.

In parks or national parks, parking is usually not allowed on green areas.

In towns and cities there are fee paying parking places, which are marked with a sign.

Parking spots are designated places to park, however parking zones mark a territory where referred parking rules apply. Around fee paying parking places you can find parking meters which usually work with coins, or in some cases you can initiate and stop your parking period by sending a text (SMS) from your Hungarian mobile phone.

Details on SMS parking are to be found on the parking meters.

Disabled parking

Some parking places have a special sign. These parking places are reserved for people with a disability. You must not park there, unless you have a special permit. Talk to your doctor if you need a disabled parking permit.

Winter Driving

During the winter heavy snowing and frost might occur.

It is advisory to change your tyres around November to Winter Tyres in a tyres workshop.

During winter you might want to have snow chains in your car in case you are stuck in the snow.

It is not allowed to drive with studded tyres in Hungary.

Toll Roads

The Hungarian Government has designated the National Toll Payment Services Company to conduct all of the tasks related to the collection of tolls and all of the universal toll services, and the Company plays a significant role in the control support tasks as well.

There are 8 toll-paying motorways in Hungary. Any road with an ‘M’ in front of its number is qualified as a motorway: M0, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M7

You will have to purchase an electronic vignette with your license plate number registered to the purchase in order to use those roads.

For further information about toll roads in Hungary: http://www.toll-charge.hu/

Do not use your duty phone for any fee-paying service, like SMS-parking, mobile paying, etc.

Registering your Car in Hungary

As member of the Force, every HAW and NSE member is entitled to register one car and one motorbike for each and every family member who holds a proper driving license.

This applies only for those vehicles which are owned by the staff member when importing them to Hungary.

This is considered as a temporary import, therefore there is a restriction on the sale of the vehicle set by Hungarian Customs; a temporarily imported vehicle can only be sold with Hungarian registration if the registration tax is paid to Customs, unless the buyer is a HAW/NSE member.

Before starting the registration process, it is highly recommended to read the registration guide and consult with the CLO.

What you need

  • passport
  • military residency card
  • vehicle documents (Part I-II)
  • technical inspection proof
  • Certificate of European Comformity
  • Up to 25000 HUF in cash

What you get

  • Vehicle Datasheet

What you need

  • passport
  • military residency card
  • vehicle documents (Part I-II)
  • Vehicle Datasheet
  • cleared customs document where applicable
  • Form „12VKM”
  • Form „REGADO”
  • Statement on POV registration


What you get

  • Customs ID number
  • Tax Free Registration Certificate

You are required to obtain an official translation of your vehicle document if it does not match the standard EU format or Part I-II is missing.

You can get the translation through the Hungarian National Translation Office or your Embassy/Consulate in Budapest.

It is mandatory when the car’s first registration is in Hungary, also if the proof of ownership is not registered to the staff member’s name who holds only a purchase contract.

The process costs HUF 18000-21000 depending on the vehicle.

It is mandatory to have liability insurance!

What you need

  • passport
  • military residency card
  • vehicle documents (Part I-II)
  • vehicle Datasheet
  • Form „Needed data for liability insurance”

What you get

  • Liability Insurance
  • Policy

What you need

  • passport
  • military residency card
  • vehicle documents (Part I-II)
  • vehicle Datasheet
  • Tax Free Registration Certificate
  • Translation of Title (optional)
  • Origin Inspection Certificate (optional)
  • Liability Insurance Policy
  • up to 25000 HUF, bank card only

What you get

  • Hungarian plate numbers
  • Hungarian title document

Please note that original foreign plates and car vehicle title document are withdrawn at the office and are sent back to the issuing authority.

Riding a Bike

Biking is very popular in the Hungarian countryside, many of SAC community members also use their bikes for daily commuting, especially in the summertime. The network of bicycle lanes is more and more extended in Pápa, if there is one, you have to use it.

Out of city limits you have to have your lights on even in daylight, also wearing a visibility vest is required.

Before starting to use your imported or newly purchased bicycle it is advised to register it at the local Police who, besides registering the vehicle, will also advise you if any mandatory parts are missing from the bike.

Please also note that use of protective gear is not mandatory, but highly advised.

For more information on this, please contact the Community Liaison Office.

Still have questions? We can help you.

24/7 emergency on-call service: +36 30 857 5606

Contact your NSE (NLD, NOR, SWE, USA)

Contact your SNR


assignment_turned_in Registrations
Please note that only members of the SAC community will be approved as users after submitting a registration request.
Password must be at least 7 characters long.
Password must be at least 7 characters long.
Please login to view this page.
Please login to view this page.
Please login to view this page.