The Hungarian Government has issued a new decree. This decree will enter into effect on the 1st of September, 2020, and is in effect until the 15th of March, 2021. This decree applies to all personal travel with a civilian passport and with other IDs.
Within this decree the following categories are considered equal with people with Hungarian nationality:
– anyone who is legally authorized for permanent residency within Hungary, and their family members, if they are able to prove this with a document
– anyone who has a permit allowing residency for more than 90 days issued by the Immigrations Office, and shows this permit upon entry into Hungary (Registration cards and Residency cards issued by the Immigrations Office in Veszprém for dependents of HAW military members; Residency cards issued by the Immigrations Office for third-country nationals working in NAM PO)
– anyone who is a member of a Hungarian sports club and is returning from a sports event organized abroad
This decree does not apply to:
– commercial traffic
– travelling with a service passport
– persons who can prove with an official document that they have had COVID-19 and have recovered within 6 months before entry into Hungary.
This decree considers as official travel any entry into Hungary with the purpose of an official visit.
Rules of entry for people with Hungarian nationality and those considered equal with Hungarian nationality (detailed above):
Hungarian nationals coming from abroad, and non-Hungarian family members of the Hungarian national will be subject to a health exam.
If the individual is suspected to have COVID-19, authorities will either assign a place of quarantine, or if it is feasible, the individual will be ordered to be in quarantine for 10 days.
If the individual is not suspected to have COVID-19 and the individual has a place of residence in Hungary, they will be ordered to be in quarantine in their home for 10 days. If the individual doesn’t have a place of residence in Hungary, they will be assigned a place of quarantine for 10 days.
It is possible to get an exemption for leaving quarantine for the time of carrying out two PCR tests with a difference of 48 hours. Getting the authorities to lift quarantine regulations is only possible with two negative PCR tests carried out at the individual’s own cost.
The first of the two negative PCR tests needed to be able to get out of quarantine can be done in a Schengen-member country, the USA or Canada, and will be accepted if the results are in English or in Hungarian.
Rules of entry for non-Hungarian nationals
Non-Hungarian nationals are not allowed to enter Hungary unless they fall under one of the exemptions of this decree.
Hungarian Police may grant a waiver in the following cases:
– participation in a Hungarian legal case, proven by official documents
– official activities which must be proven by an invitation letter from a central governmental organization, an autonomous regulatory body, or an autonomous administrative organization
– appointment at a medical facility proven by a referral or other official document
– having to complete exams, proven by a document issued by the school
– commercial traffic, proven by a document issued by the individual’s workplace
– participation in family events (wedding, christening, funeral)
– having to care for a relative as described in Hungarian Legislation
– participation in international sports, cultural or religious events
– any other cases which can be exempt based on Hungarian Police decision.
The request can be submitted only electronically in Hungarian or in English (CLO disclaimer: the English platform is now available, however it is still half in Hungarian, so please visit us if you need help), and can be submitted with a power of attorney.
If entering at the same time and for the same reason, one applicant should submit one request for all those entering.
The request must include the reason of entry, details of the identification document used for entering Hungary (type and number of document), and the following attachments must also be included:
– a copy of the document proving the reason as detailed above (if applicable)
– power of attorney if applicable
The request must be submitted electronically through the Hungarian government portal (‘Ügyfélkapu’), or if not available, through the form which can be found on the Hungarian Police’s website. (https://ugyintezes.police.hu/en/uj-ugy-inditasa/)
Requests will be disapproved
– if the Police has a doubt regarding the reason of entry
– if the Police sees the entry as a risk from a health perspective or from a security perspective.
If the request if approved, original copies of the abovementioned proof documents must be shown upon entry into Hungary. If the document is fake or if the requestor doesn’t present it, entry will be denied.
If the request is approved, the requestor will be subject to a health exam upon entry into the country. If the individual is suspected to have COVID-19, entry will be denied. If the individual is not suspected to have COVID-19, they will be placed into mandatory quarantine.
It is possible to get an exemption for leaving quarantine for the time of carrying out PCR tests. Getting the authorities to lift quarantine regulations is only possible with two negative PCR tests carried out at the individual’s own cost.
Military convoys are allowed to enter Hungary.
Owners or representatives of international companies linked to other companies (specifically defined by the relevant minister) may enter Hungary.
Daily commuters from neighboring countries may enter Hungary for a maximum of 24 hours within 30 km of the border.
Employees of Hungarian cultural institutions are to be treated equally with Hungarians if they are entering the country after attending a cultural event abroad as a performer or a technician.
If Hungarians and those to be treated equally with Hungarians leave the country for business purposes, and they can prove this upon returning to Hungary, they can enter the country without any restrictions if their business trip took them to an EU- or EEA-member state, a country on the potential EU-member state list, Great Britain, Northern Ireland or one of the following countries:
– Republic of Korea
If border police has doubts regarding the validity of the document used for proving that it was a business trip, the same restrictions apply as in the original decree (10-day quarantine).
If a non-Hungarian is entering the country for business purposes, and they can prove this at the border, they can enter the country without any restrictions if their business trip brings them from an EU- or EEA-member state, a country on the potential EU-member state list, Great Britain, Northern Ireland or one of the following countries:
– Republic of Korea
If border police has doubts regarding the validity of the document used for proving that it was a business trip, the same restrictions apply as in the original decree (they will be denied entry).
It is now not only sportsmen that can enter the country if they have two negative COVID-19 PCR tests done within 5 days and with a minimum of 48 hours difference, but also employees of cultural institutions if they are entering as performers or technical personell of a cultural event to be held in Hungary.
Spectators of sports events and cultural events can enter Hungary. They might be subject to a health check at the border, and they must be able to present their ticket to the relevant event, as well as one negative PCR test result done within 3 days before entering the country. They must leave Hungary within 72 hours of entering.