The state of emergency is over as of 18 June, 2020.
- Parking remains free until 30 June 2020.
- It remains mandatory to cover your mouth and nose while using public transporation and in stores.
- Restaurant workers must wear a mask while inside the restaurant.
- Children below 6 years of age don’t have to wear masks.
- Events (“music, dance” events as well) can be organized given that the number of participants remains below 500. This regulation is in effect until the 15th of August, and will be revisited around that date.
- You can shop during all hours of the day (within opening hours of the given store) regardless of your age.
State of alert instead of state of emergency
Although the state of emergency is over and most of the relevant restrictions are lifted, Hungary remains in a state of alert at least until 18 December 2020, to be revised every three months. This means that the government will stay prepared for acting quickly if new threats to the health of the general public emerge.
From 18 June, the following people may enter Hungary without police clearance and without self-quarantine:
- citizens of Hungary
- citizens of the EU and Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, and Serbia (but NOT the UK)
- close family members of Hungarian citizens, and
- people with service or diplomat passports.
In other cases, e.g. if you are a third-country national (with or without residency in Hungary), you must apply for police clearance to enter Hungary from the Hungarian Police. You can do this online in Hungarian here. (The CLO can assist in filling in the form, unfortunately the Police does not provide this service in English)
Your health will be checked upon entry, and if you are suspected to be infected with the coronavirus, your entry may be denied even if your application had been formerly approved. If you seem healthy, you may still be asked to stay in self-quarantine for 2 weeks. The decision on whether or not you have to self-quarantine is made by the police upon your entry.
When applying for the police clearance, the following (as well as other reasonable, documented purposes) can be cited as justification for requesting entry:
- being a managing director of a Hungarian company, holding a residence permit
- being a Hungarian work permit holder
- coming to a court hearing, with a citation
- taking an exam at a Hungarian university, with a confirmation from the university
- business purposes connected to and verified by a government authority
- receiving healthcare services, verified by a referral
- travel in connection with the transportation of goods, to get to the point of departure before or to return home after a delivery job
- participation in family events (wedding, baptism, funeral)
- taking care of relatives
- participation in priority events on the international level in the fields of sports, culture, or religion
For now, trade continues to be unrestricted, including the free entry of drivers of commercial vehicles.